This is a weekly look at popular apps for the iPhone as suggested by people living and working in Thailand. This week we hear from Dany_K who is a sound designer, producer, amateur photo journo living in Bangkok for the past 3.5 years. He enjoys keeping up with the news, bringing the news and eating sushi! He has his very own blog which covers Thailand news & food.
1. Echofon: Had to get this out the way, been said before and I will say it again. This is my favourite app to browse twitter on, its functions can be done within seconds, the UI is fantastic and it has some pretty cool features. One of my favorite features is whilst typing a @ name, and they all pop up in a scrolling fashion at the bottom. Clearing local cache is also a very cool feature.
2. Premier League Sportacular: Bit of a cheesy name, but a great ‘Free’ application if you’re an EPL fan. Everything you need from a sporting app, fixtures, tables, news, clubs and a great alert system. All of these are easily customisable; I would rate this higher than some of the paid app’s I have tried.
3. BBC News: A must have app! A Criss-cross, grid type of Interface which lets you browse through a customisable list of news categories. Once in a story, you can Email, Facebook or tweet it with ease.
4. Shazam: Great little app to find out what the song playing at the moment is. Literally, tap the screen, record a small section of the song and it will find it for you. Some other cool features that come with it are YouTube videos of the song, download the song in iTunes & Tour Info of the artist.
5. IMDB: Ever been out and having a conversation about the latest film with that actor who you can’t remember? Instead of loading up safari and going through Google, use this App to browse through its forever-growing database. The one thing I love about this app is its fantastic User Interface (If you haven’t noticed yet, UI’s are a big selling point for me).
6. VLC Remote: Im not sure why you would not use this program on your computer, but VLC has been my main media player for years, simply because it just works with everything. With this app, you can control every feature of the VLC interface, handy when too lazy to get up from the sofa/bed. (They even have a lite version, which is free).
7. VNC Viewer: If you want more control of your computer than the VLC Remote, then this app is for you. Have complete control of your computer on your iphone/ipod. Mouse, keyboard, picture quality and even duel screening abilities. It can get a bit confusing on an iphone; the mouse directions are the opposite (like a normal mouse would be).
8. Disc Pool: Found this little gem out of the blue whilst browsing for games. Once known as Couronne Deluxe, this was one of the most played games on Miniclip. Used to play this with friends online while in class, endless hours of fun, and anger!
9. TowerMadness Zero: Being a Tower Defence game’aholic, this is one of the best free ones out there for the iPhone. Although some of the guns in the free version are not accessible (gives you the option to buy them), it has some great levels and guns to mess around with.
10. Sickipedia: This app made me chuckle for hours, it is a huge database of jokes. 13 different categories, and lists of the all time best, you can never get through them all. You can copy the jokes, or sms them, but still no facebook/twitter function. Also, It is updated daily!
Every weekend we are featuring the favourite Top 10 iPhone Apps for Internet personalities living in Thailand. Please contact us if you wish to have your list featured on our blog.