For most people using an iPhone in Thailand the iTunes Thai Store is pretty dismal. Up until recently you only had access to the iPhone app section. Now it looks like they allow us to browse podcasts as well. However, if you are like myself, and have an account at a store in your home country, then you will realize that there is certainly a lot more out there that we are missing out on.
It is not just the music and movies, there are also a lot of iPhone and iPad apps that are just not available worldwide. Sometimes for a good reason but other times it just doesn’t make sense. Recently I wanted to download the Google Earth app but found for some reason it wasn’t available in the Thai store. Luckily I also have a UK iTunes store account so I was able to get the free app there.
However, today I wanted to download the new Apple Store app. This again is free but it is only available in the US iTunes store. As I don’t have an American credit card I have never opened an account there. But then, I found out it is possible to do so even without a credit card. That is, as long as you want to have free downloads. It doesn’t hurt to do this. You only need to have one iTunes app running and just sign in and sign out as you go between stores.
- If you already have an account, choose Store > Sign Out.
- Pick the country that you want by clicking on the country flag located in the bottom right corner of the main iTunes Store page.
- Important: Before proceeding to the next step, you must purchase a free application by clicking Free App. In this case, just go for the new Apple Store app.
- You then get the option to create a new account.
- Click Continue.
- You’ll need to read and agree to the iTunes Store Terms & Conditions. Make sure you check the box next to where it says “I have read and agree to the iTunes Terms and Conditions.”
- Click Continue.
- Enter your email address (it needs to be different to your other account), create your password, continue to create and answer your security question, then enter your birthday. Click Continue.
- Select None as the payment option.
- Continue to fill out the required name and address fields. The US State and Zip Code has to match and also the telephone number must be the correct length. Generate a fake address by clicking here.
- You’ll then see a screen that says ‘Verify your Account’. Click Done and then check your email for a verification email from iTunes Store.
- Open the email and click the link enclosed in the email to activate your account.
- Once you click on the link, iTunes should then prompt you to sign in with your account name and password.
- You’ll then see the below “Congratulations” screen. Click Done to be taken to the App Store home page.
That’s all you need to do. It doesn’t really take that long. At the moment I have iTunes store accounts for three different countries. Now I just need to work out how to get hold of iTunes gift vouchers for the American store!